Montebello Hospital, a public hospital operated by the KwaZulu Natal Health Department, is situated near Dalton, KwaZulu Natal. The hospital was established in 1950 as Mater Misericordiae (Mother of Mercy). The hospital has a 24 hour Emergency Department.
The hospital is situated in P614 Noordsberg Road, Dalton, KwaZulu Natal. The turn-off to the hospital is 21.8km South-East of Dalton on the R614 and the hospital is situated a further 6.4km South-East of the turn-off. Dalton is located 46km North-East of Pietermaritzburg and 36km South of Greytown in KwaZulu Natal.
Montebello Hospital is a provincial hospital, therefore services are free to pregnant and breastfeeding women as well as children under the age of six years old. Other citizens are charged according to a sliding scale depending on their income.
- Trauma and emergency – 24 hour service
- Internal medicine, surgery, orthopaedics and mental health
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology (O & G)
- Paediatrics and Neonatology
- Dental / Oral health services
- Pharmacy services
- Medical social work
- Speech therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Clinical support services – radiography and laboratory
- Primary health care – outreach visits to clinics, HCT and TB and MBFHI
- Male medical circumcision (MMC)
- Operational theatre (OT)
- Occupational health (OH)
- Mortuary Services
- Termination of pregnancy (outsourced)