11 Places to Enjoy a Glitzy High Tea in Cape Town
I’m often day dreaming of sugary goodness despite the moans and groans of my scale. Cakes. Cupcakes. Brownies. Cupcakes. Chocolate. Did I mention cupcakes!? Anything with a decent coating of sugar is enough to get me through a Blue Monday. My own little superhero if you will.
A high tea is the perfect way to spend the day, whether it’s for a birthday, business meeting, bridal shower, or a catch up with the girls. Here are my favourite places where you can have your cake and eat it:
1. One & Only, V&A Waterfront
The One&Only Cape Town has a decadent high tea with a selection of 35 teas representing 8 tea families like Oolong, Green, Black, White, Infused, and Fruit teas. Snacks include savoury pies, cocktail sandwiches, sausage rolls, buttermilk scones, chocolate delice, baked vanilla bean cheesecake, caramel and gold leaf éclairs, and Lindt chocolate fondues with strawberries.
- When: Daily, 14h30 – 17h30
- Where: One & Only Hotel, Dock Road, V&A Waterfront
- Cost: R195 per person
- Call: +27 (0)21 431 5800 or [email protected]
- GPS: -33.908629, 18.416457
2. Table Bay Hotel, V&A Waterfront
Enjoy a belly full of sweet treats in the Lounge restaurant at the Table Bay Hotel with views of Table Mountain and the harbour and soft piano music drifting through the air. The high tea includes 3 courses and 3 TWG teas from a selection of White, Green, Blue, Black, and Red teas. The first course includes quiches, sausage rolls, cocktail sandwiches, and vegetable rice paper rolls. The second course includes buttermilk and chocolate chip scones, served with clotted cream, lemon curd and two homemade jams. Save room for the buffet table where you can fill your plate with your choice of milk chocolate brownies, peppermint crisp cups, coffee cake with mascarpone cream, triple chocolate cupcakes, mini hazelnut cream éclairs, rainbow baked cheesecake, and citrus drizzle cream cheese-granadilla cake. We recommend trying the Vanilla Bourbon rooibos tea blend!
- When: Monday to Saturday, 14h30 – 17h30
- Where: Table Bay Hotel, Quay 6, V&A Waterfront
- Cost: R100 for one tea and dessert buffet, R185 for High Tea, R225 with a glass of Graham Beck N/V, R315 with a glass of Taittinger Bruit N/V.
- Call: +27 (0)21 406 5918 or [email protected]
- GPS: -33.902829, 18.422058
3. Cape Grace, V&A Waterfront
The Cape Grace Hotel offers a high tea in the Library with views of the marina. Choose from Black, White, Green, Herbal, and Highland Rooibos served in your own personal glass teapot with an egg timer to ensure your tea is brewed to perfection. The Cream Tea includes homemade scones with jam, cream, and loose leaf tea or coffee. The Afternoon Tea has sweet and savoury scones, cocktail sandwiches, sweet treats, and a variety of tea and coffee. The Deluxe Afternoon Tea includes all of the above with a glass of sparkling wine.
- When: Daily, 12h00 – 18h00
- Where: Cape Grace, W Quay Road, V&A Waterfront
- Cost: R75 for Cream Tea, R185 for Afternoon Tea, R255 for Deluxe Afternoon Tea, R50 for a slice of cake
- Call: +27 (0)21 410 7100 or [email protected]
- GPS: -33.908739, 18.420468
4. Mount Nelson Hotel, Gardens
Mount Nelson is one of my all-time favourites for high tea in the city. The tea can be enjoyed in the lounge, on the terrace, or around the fountain in the garden. Teas include leaf and flowering teas from Nigiro Tea Merchants like Darjeeling, Kenya, Assam, Keemun, Yunna, and Ceylon, as well as the signature Mount Nelson Tea which is a blend of 6 teas with rose petals from the hotel’s own garden. Look forward to live music and snacks including cocktail sandwiches, chocolate cake, lemon meringue tart, scones with cream and preserves, and South African milk tart. In winter, you can enjoy mushroom espanadas, tomato tarts, and chicken pies. The dress code is smart casual.
- When: Daily, 09h30 – 12h00 (lighter Morning Tea), 13h30 – 15h30 or 15h30 –17h30 (full Afternoon Tea)
- Where: Mount Nelson Hotel, 76 Orange Street, Gardens
- Cost: R175 for adults and R90 for kids under 12 (Morning); R235 for adults and R120 for kids under 12 (Afternoon). Add a glass of Methode Cap Classique for R60 or a glass of French champagne for R200.
- Call: +27 (0)21 483 1948 or [email protected]
- GPS: -33.931735, 18.412452
5. Twelve Apostles, Camps Bay
Enjoy Tea by the Sea in the Leopard Bar at the Twelve Apostles with exceptional ocean views. A 3-tiered stand has a spread of cocktail sandwiches, chocolate éclairs, koeksister flavoured marshmallows, milk tart cremeux, bubblegum macaroons, chocolate brownies, and scones with cream, served with a selection of fragrant tea and coffee. The High Tea Buffet is served in the mountain-facing Café Grill on weekends and includes a larger array of sweet and savoury treats. During the month of October, the Twelve Apostles will be serving a Pink High Tea to mark Breast Cancer Awareness Month and will include a range of pink themed delights. R10 from each tea stand will be donated to CANSA, and one guest will stand a chance to win a Carrol Boyes Breast Cancer pendant.
- When: Daily, 10h00 – 16h00 (Tea by the Sea); Saturday and Sunday, 14h00 – 16h00 (High Tea Buffet)
- Where: Twelve Apostles Hotel, Victoria Road, Camps Bay
- Cost: R175 per person
- Call: +27 (0)21 437 9255 or [email protected]
- GPS: -33.983504, 18.358739
6. Taj Hotel, CBD
The Taj Hotel’s high tea is a sugar overload with a theme that changes every 2 months. Pick from a selection of 20 different loose leaf teas and look forward to a selection of cakes, macaroons, scones, cocktail sandwiches, wraps, mini quiches, and Vol-au-Vents. We love the Chocolate High Tea with delicious chocolatey treats, and the South African theme with milk tart, koeksisters, and malva pudding.
- When: Daily, 14h00 – 17h00
- Where: Taj Hotel, Wale Street, CBD
- Cost: R195 per person
- Call: +27 (0)21 819 2000 or [email protected]
- GPS: -33.924559, 18.419737
7. MannaBay Boutique Hotel, Oranjezicht
Not much beats a high tea at MannaBay on the slopes of Table Mountain. The high tea includes a selection of imported teas and a minimum of 6 items set up as a buffet with a variety of sweet and savoury options like cupcakes, quiches, sweet candies, wraps, sausage rolls, lemon meringue, and carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. A glass of bubbly is included as a welcome drink.
- When: Daily on request, 15h30 – 17h30
- Where: MannaBay Boutique Hotel, 8 Bridle Road, Oranjezicht
- Cost: R195 per person
- Call: +27 (0)21 461 1094 or [email protected]. Booking essential
- GPS: -33.946603, 18.414008
8. Kirstenbosch Tea Room, Newlands
The Kirstenbosch Tea Room is one of the only places to enjoy a high tea outside of a hotel. The English Tea for Two includes 2 teas (your choice of Ceylon, Earl Grey, Peppermint, Camomile, Green Tea, or Ginger) along with a sandwich, 2 mini spinach and feta quiches, scones with strawberry jam and cream, and a piece of cake to share. Walk off the cake in the gardens afterwards.
- When: Daily, 08h30 – 17h00
- Where: Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens, Rhodes Drive, Newlands
- Cost: R210 for 2 people
- Call: +27 (0)21 797 4883 or [email protected]
- GPS: -33.986890, 18.431571
9. Rhodes Memorial Restaurant, Newlands
Rhodes Memorial Restaurant offers a century old “tea at Rhodes” which can be enjoyed in the restaurant or tea garden on the slopes of Table Mountain. Expect a selection of hot drinks like Black, Earl Grey, Herbal, Organic Rooibos, and Buchu tea, or Lavazza coffee. The chef bakes a range of treats like chocolate brownies, lemon meringue tartlets, spinach and feta quiches, bagels with salmon and cream cheese, and fresh scones.
- When: Daily, 09h00 – 17h00
- Where: Rhodes Memorial Restaurant, Rhodes Drive, Newlands
- Cost: R95 per person (for 10 people or more)
- Call: +27 (0)21 687 0000 or [email protected] Bookings essential
- GPS: -33.952289, 18.458941
10. Vineyard Hotel, Newlands
The Lady Anne Barnard’s Afternoon Tea at the Vineyard Hotel is served on the garden patio with views of the mountains and landscaped gardens. It includes a variety of Twining’s and Dilmah teas, from Earl Grey and Green, to Jasmine and Ginger Spice tea. Snacks include vegetable spring rolls, beef samoosas, blueberry cheesecake, mini citrus gateaux, raspberry macaroons, scones, and red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting.
- When: Daily, 15h30 – 17h30
- Where: Vineyard Hotel, 54 Colinton Road, Newlands
- Cost: R145 per person
- Call: +27 (0)21 657 4500 or [email protected]
- GPS: -33.979072, 18.458766
11. Cellars-Hohenort, Constantia
Cellars-Hohenort offers a tantalising high tea in its conservatory with stunning garden views. Expect an array of cocktail sandwiches, spring rolls, mini leek quiches, mini cupcakes, scones, chocolate éclairs, and nougat. Wash it all down with a steaming cup of Ceylon and Rooibos tea, or filter coffee.
- When: Daily, 15h30 – 17h30
- Where: Cellars-Hohenort, 93 Brommersvlei Road, Constantia
- Cost: R285 per stand for 2 people
- Call: +27 (0)21 794 2137 or [email protected]
- GPS: -34.001905, 18.434559
BONUS: OUTSIDE CAPE TOWN
Le Franschhoek Hotel & Spa , Franschhoek
Enjoy a Swiss farm-style tea at Le Franschhoek Hotel & Spa. It includes a glass of sparkling wine, along with your choice of Vanilla, Almond, Moroccan, and Mint tea. Snacks include scones, cocktail sandwiches, savoury muffins, orange chocolate truffle cake, mini berry pavlova, carrot cake, and rocky road brownies.
- When: Daily, 10h00 – 17h00
- Where: Le Franschhoek Hotel, 16 Minor Road, Franschhoek
- Cost: R135 per person, R165 with a glass of PJ Brut
- Call: +27 (0)21 876 8900 or [email protected]
- GPS: -33.935818, 19.110420
Grande Roche Hotel, Paarl
High tea at the Grand Roche Hotel is a stylish affair served on the hotel terrace, overlooking beautifully manicured gardens, purple mountains, a trickling fountain, and row upon row of vineyards. The high tea is accompanied by a tall glass of bubbly, served by very hands-on staff and a steaming pot of your chosen flavoured tea, from Jasmine to peach and ginger. The tea consists of a savoury platter with cocktail sandwiches, Parma ham, sun dried tomatoes, and a sliver of Parmesan to start, followed by a 3-tier stand layered with chocolate dipped fruit, mini scones, chocolate brownies, apple crumble, fruit tartlets, and more.
- When: Daily, 15h00 – 17h00
- Where: Grande Roche Hotel, Plantation Street, Paarl
- Cost: R135 per person (R150 in peak season)
- Call: +27 (0)21 863 5100 or [email protected]
- GPS: -33.751897, 18.960956
Where are you planning your next glitzy High Tea?