Vergelegen is one of the most visually beautiful wine estates in the Western Cape, lying nestled in Somerset West along the Helderberg Wine Route in the Western Cape. The estate is exceptional, offering 18 diverse formal gardens, each with its own unique personality. There is nothing quite like spending a Saturday or Sunday afternoon strolling through the estate.
In addition to the gardens, the estate also offers a range of handcrafted wines, a kiddies’ playground, summer picnics, and views of the Hottentots Holland Mountains that are extremely hard to beat. We love the giant wine glass fountain, and the enormous acorn set along the gravel pathway in front of the Stables Restaurant - they make for fantastic family photos! Whether you’re on a date or spending the day with your family, there really is no better place to spend a leisurely day in the Cape Winelands.
• Herb Garden and lavender labyrinth • East Garden (kids’ playground and maze) • Slave Lodge Site • Octagonal Garden • Reflection Garden • Maple tree Garden • Wetland Garden • Rose Garden • Hydrangea Garden • Great lawn • Certified Camellia Garden of Excellence • Royal Oak • Old Oak Tree • Old Mill Wall • Yellowwood Walk
• Rose Terrace • Wine tasting centre • Homestead • Library
• Camphors at Vergelegen Restaurant Camphors at Vergelegen offers lunches from Wednesday to Sunday from 12h00 – 15h00, and a dinner service on Friday and Saturday from 18h30 – 21h00. This signature restaurant overlooks the landscaped lawns and gardens and is named after the over 300 year old camphor trees lining the Homestead
• Stables at Vergelegen Bistro The Stables at Vergelegen offers a bistro style environment with a contemporary menu for laidback family dining. It has captivating views of the Hottentots Holland mountain range. Breakfast and lunch is served Monday to Sunday (breakfast: 09h30 – 11h30, lunch: 11h30 – 15h30, tea and coffee: 09h30 – 16h00)
• Picnics (November – April) Picnics can be arranged at Camphors. You will be given a selection of nibbles from artisanal bread and farm butter, to pastries and salads. Picnics are available from November to April, and can be collected between 12h15 – 13h30. Bookings essential.