- Capacity: 11 people
Check-in: 12:00 to 19:00
- Address: Paardeplaats 154JT, Long Tom Pass, Lydenburg, 1120, Mpumalanga
- All ages welcome
- From R1 000 per night (for 2 people)
Paardeplaats Nature Retreat is a restored 10-sleeper stone dwelling, built on the ruins of an 1850's miner's settlement. It is set in total privacy, overlooking a small trout dam and beautiful valley and mountains. Hidden amongst trees and the mining terraces are these restored, stone units.
We offer two different types of accommodation:
· Weekday (Monday to Thursday evening) B&B, DBB or self-catering. We have 4 en-suite rooms (2 double and 2 family) and are situated within 50 – 60 kilometres of most of the mines in the area.
· We have either catered or self-catered weekend or long weekend accommodation, for either families or groups of friends, in the 4 above-mentioned rooms, which can accommodate up to 12 persons, with a very well-equipped living area / kitchen / lapa. This accommodation is offered to a family or a single group, as they don’t share catering facilities – there is only a communal living area for the 4 rooms.
Each room has a private view with its own unique character with stained glass windows and down or wool duvets on all the beds and some with private patios. All rooms have solar-powered reading lamps, unaffected by Eskom power outages. The bathrooms, 3 with showers and 1 with a bath, are all equipped with gas geysers, solar lights and cosy oil burning lamps for ambience.
Meals are prepared in the communal Miners’ Canteen with a kitchen so well equipped that even professional chefs comment on it. Wood and gas stoves, two gas fridges and utensils to cater for up to 20 people, guarantee a farm-style cooking experience with most modern conveniences, except a microwave. When weather permits, the outdoor, covered, cooking hearth and large veranda is the place to relax and braai, soothed by the sound of running water and bird song.
Saucy Chef Cookery Courses are aimed at those who enjoy fellowship and share a passion for food – not for food snobs or critics, but for people who derive pleasure and fun from the process of planning, preparing and presenting food, and enjoying the pleasure and ambiance created around the table.
The Jafrie Walking- and Cycling Ramble is ideal for those who love nature. The not-so-lazy could pack a picnic basket or a rucksack and embark on 1 of 7 different marked out walking- or mountain biking trails, totalling 25 km, or just amble down to the nearby waterfall, or take a 10 minute stroll to the old gold mine shaft.
- Braai Area
- Kitchen Facilities
- No Smoking Indoors
- Self Catering
- Serviced Daily
- Fly Fishing
- Bird Watching
- Mountain Biking
- Covered Parking
- Paardeplaats 154JT, Long Tom Pass, Lydenburg, 1120, Mpumalanga
- Guests think Paardeplaats Nature Retreat is in an excellent location